Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mise En Place


Mise En Place
442 W. Kennedy Blvd.
Suite 110
Tampa, FL 33606


The very first restaurant I visited in Tampa was Mise En Place. They had just relocated to Kennedy and everything was crisp and clean. The layout was certainly interesting and I noted at the time, “this place needs the help of a talented interior designer”. Despite a few minor gaffs, I was delighted to have found an establishment that seemed then on a par with important restaurants I have loved across the globe.

There is no question; Mr. Blitz is a talented and accomplished chef. I have seldom been disappointed by his formidable expertise. On occasion he has caused me to insist on sending my sincere gratitude to the kitchen. To accompany Mr. Blitz’s dependably proficient dishes an outstanding wine-list has been designed. I could rave about the selection for longer than it takes to read the sumptuous inventory. But, the true delight on the Mise En Place wine-list is the sensibly chosen half bottles. This restaurant proves with enthusiasm why other restaurants who should know better are not only missing out but cheating their cliental.

Service at Mise En Place is probably better than most restaurants in Tampa Bay. I have experienced some irksome ticks; the culprits quickly disappear. The food and service certainly satisfy my criteria. At Mise En Place they are both above average.

And then there is the ambience. Oh dear, where to begin? What happened? Yes, the rooms and layout are rather odd and as I mentioned in my opening, the place always appeared to need the help of an interior designer. It would have been a designer’s dream to work on such an unusual space. In such a unique configuration one can imagine beautiful, stunning applications with color, texture, furniture and fittings. From every perspective the place offers nothing short of a blank canvas for what should be one of the most dazzling restaurants, anywhere.

A couple of years back, Mise En Place did engage someone to do a “make-over”. I will politely refrain from using the term “interior designer” because that would be an insult to even your weekend do-it-your-selfer shuffling around Home Depot. The new interior of Mise En Place is beyond awful. There is no appreciation for the bones of the beautiful building. There is absolutely no understanding of color or texture. The whole mess is unforgiving in its ugliness. Like sitting next to someone with an unsightly growth on their face you try hard not to look but find yourself quickly snatching furtive peeks just to remind yourself how ugly the growth really is. This interior is not even a case of “was the designer on bad acid?” This is contemptuous of Mr. Blitz’s delicious food and the quality service. Honestly, I dread taking new customers to the place because as if on cue the obvious will be stated “I hope the food is good, ‘cause the place looks awful”. When Mr. JO was visiting from London, I did forewarn him yet he still blurted out “Bloody hell! They need to give this place a new doo!”

Food: better than Tampa Bay understands
Service: better than Tampa Bay knows
Ambience: better get a real designer in